The First School - Albert Wood
Long before the Free Schools Act of 1871 came into force, school districts had been organized in parishes. It was intended that a school house be erected in each four mile area, so no pupil would have to walk (no busses in those days) more than two miles, either way.
The first school in the Middle Coverdale area was located on the highway (Coverdale Road). The small white frame structure apparently was built prior to the Act of 1871 as the property was conveyed to the Trustees in 1875 Charles and Ann Trites. Trites was undoubtedly one of the descendants of Jacob Tries, who with seven other families came from Pennsylvania in 1766. This one room school was converted into a residence and owned by the late Frederick W. Davies, a well known insurance adjuster.
Mr. Wood told his interviewer that he himself had attended this school, which was in use until around 1935. The next school was a two room white frame school constructed in 1947 and presently known as the LIONS SENIOR CENTRE.
Claude D. Taylor, MLA was principal of the school 1939 - 1943 and Arnold McLeod (later Superintendent of School District #15) taught here.
The present Gunningsville school was erected on Karolie Road, just around the corner from the original structure, in 1951. Five years later, in 1956, an addition was built was resulted in a structure housing a library, an auditorium/gynasium, and, at present time, eight classrooms. Due to population growth in the area there are also five portable classrooms and the complex serves the whole of east Riverview and beyond as an elementary school.
At the present time the school has 13 regular teachers on staff as well as a resource teacher, a secretary, a librarian assistant and several custodians. Music, Art, French and Physical Ed., specialists who rotate between the various schools in the district area also part of the Gunningsville teaching team.