Riverview Post Office - Helen Renouf

In 1946 Walter Bailey purchased land on Coverdale Road from Bryon Dobson and the Bailey's had their home then on this location. In August of 1949, they set up postal service for Riverview Heights in their kitchen for 80 families.

Walter Bailey acted as Postmaster and his wife Thelma as Assistant Postmaster. They maintained this service for nine years until postal delivery was established and the number of families had grown to 300.

At Christmas her [Thelma] kitchen became a bit crowded with up to 25 bags of incoming mail, not to mention the outgoing mail.

 

These Statistics were supplied by the Area Communications Officer: Canada Post, Halifax, NS

Moncton Sub Post office #1 - Established August 1, 1949
Office Reopened - March 2, 1959 - September 25, 1967

Moncton, New Brunswick Electorate District
Office Closed - September 30, 1958, November 2, 1959

 

Former Named Riverview Heights (Changed June 17, 1958)
Name of Post Master: Walter J. Bailey
Date of Appointment: August 1, 1959 - Date of Vacancy: August 28, 1958
Harold Reid Page: March 3, 1959 - October 13, 1959

 

Nature of Premises
Ford's Pharmacy Limited
June 17, 1958 - 386 Coverdale Rd., Riverview Heights, NB
March 2, 1959 - 374 Coverdale Rd., Riverview Heights, NB
September 25, 1967 - 1210 Pine Road, Riverview Shopping Centre, Riverview, NB

 

1958 - Daily Mail Delivery Extended to Gunningsville - Riverview Area

1958 Correspondence between M.P. Tom Bell and Mr. Blackwell

Historical Post Master/Location - Riverview | Gunningsville [Request 1986]

Historical Post Master/Location - Bridgedale [1986]